Validation of fields before upsertion

Is it possible to check that the fields of an instance of a type respect some sophisticated constraints? (i.e. more complicated than the constraints already available in the Type System)

For example I would like to check that the value of the field MyType.stringField in not in the field MyType.stringsListField. As far as I know, we cannot enforce that with the Type System syntax. What I would like is a member function MyType.validate() to override, in which I would check that my constraint is respected, and that function would be called before upserting the instance.

If I remember correctly, we had callbacks like beforeCreate or beforeUpsert previously, but I do not see them anymore in the documentation of Persistable… (I am using v.7.8.2)
I see that there is a function Obj.validateObj() but if I override it, I will remove the existing validation enforced by the Type System, won’t I?

We still have those callbacks, I tested on 7.8.2.50-1:

> Persistable.beforeCreate
ƒ anonymous(objs
) {
  if (arguments.length > 1)
    throw new C3.typesys.Error('Function "beforeCreate" on Persistable takes one argument.', "InvalidInputParam");
  return this._call("beforeCreate", {…

Yes the Persistable.before* functions can be used to perform complex validation before data is created/updated.

(you may have to view ‘private’ fields in console to see the docs for these functions)

Can’t you achieve what you want with an enum type?

Those before… functions are not private and they do show up in c3ShowType(Persistable)

Indeed… My eyes were probably malfunctioning… ^^’

I don’t think so. I want to ensure that the value of one field is NOT in a collection which is the value of another field. These values can be anything, not a list of predefined values (so not an enum).

Anyway the question can be useful for other kind of custom validations.