Overriding rules for mix and extend

I would like to know the exact rules related to overriding fields and methods for types that extend / mix or remix other types.

Fields:

• can you change the type of the field?
  • what happens to annotations

Methods:

• can you change the signature of a function?
  • can you change the implementation of a function?
1 Like

The answer to your questions on methods are in:
https://plat.c3-e.com/api/1/c3e-plat/prod/documentation/topic/methods#section:1.7

Override and Overload Rules

To avoid mistakes, the type system does not allow accidental overriding. If a type mixes in a type that declares a function, it may not re-declare that function with the same parameters. Instead, it must use override syntax to indicate that it is overriding the function in a mixin type.

If the method is declared with with different parameters, that constitutes an overload.

Method signature matching is done only by the parameter types; the return value is not significant.

A type that mixes in an abstract type is assumed to implement all abstract functions, so it only needs to re-declare them abstract if they will not be implemented.

A function cannot be made private in a type that mixes in a type in which it was public since the function forms part of the contract of the mixin type.

An override cannot change a function from static to member or vice versa. It is not possible to have a method with the same name as both a static and a member method (including overloads).

Yes, you can change the implementation of a function.

I don’t know the answer to your questions on data fields, or annotations.

0 Likes

Becareful when overriding fields and changing types, you may endup with problems especially on columns that’s been indexed like in this thread Value too long for type character varying(5).

0 Likes

In regard to fields, I believe the rule with extending/mixing types is that you can change the type of a field only if that type is more specific, i.e.

extendable entity type MyBaseType {
     cat: Cat
}
type Tiger mixes Cat 

/**
* This works
*/
type MyMixedType mixes MyBaseType {
     cat: Tiger
}
entity type Dog {
}

/**
* Field conflict: 'cat' is defined both in type MyMixedType and its mixin MyBaseType
*/
type MyMixedType mixes MyBaseType {
     cat: Dog
}
0 Likes