Evaluate metric in a variable interval

Hi, have we a way to evaluate a timeSeries taking the interval directly from the UI? I mean, I want to calculate the sum of consumption stored in the db, but if I select interval MONTH , start = 2017-01-14 , end = 2017-02-10 I want that the system calculate the consumption for January from the 14th to 31th, for February from the 1st to the 10th. Can I use start() and end() inside the expression of the metric?

0 Likes

Yes, in metrics expression you can use start() and end() or any other function defined in ExpressionEngineFunction.

The interval is part of the EvalMetricSpec you can set it from the UI, I don’t see a problem.
If you are looking to use a variable inside you metric expression then check this Binding variables

0 Likes

Hi, I’m trying to use the eval engine function to evaluate the metric only during the interval setted at runtime

If I try to pass to the eval a fixed start / end date it seems to work fine, for example
sum( eval( 'DAY' , $myMetric , dateTime('2017-01-28') , dateTime('2017-02-04') ) )

If I want to substitute dateTime(‘2017-01-28’) with start() and dateTime(‘2017-02-04’) with end() how can I do? Using :
sum( eval( 'DAY' , $myMetric , start() , end() ) )
It doesn’t work because start() and end() are --> a timeseries where value of every datapoint is the number of milliseconds from UNIX epoch, based on that datapoint’s START/END date .

How can I convert those to the value requested by eval function?

Thanks,
Laura

0 Likes

Hi all,
no suggestion to solve my problem?

Thanks,
Laura

0 Likes

Use the following in expression

evalStart()
evalEnd()

Check this post also How to get 'evalStart', 'evalEnd', 'evalInterval' in expression?

0 Likes

Hi, I’m trying to use

sum( eval( ‘DAY’ , $myMetric , evalStart() , evalEnd() ) )

But it doesn’t work…I tryied even to use a variable, like

newSimple = SimpleMetric.make({
“id”: “MySimpleMetric”,
“name”: “MySimpleMetric”,
“srcType”: “Facility”,
“expression”: “sum(eval(‘DAY’,$MyMetric,varStart,varEnd))”,
“variables”: [{
“name”: “varStart”,
“value” : “evalStart()”
},{
“name”: “varEnd”,
“value” : “evalEnd()”
}]
})

But without results…any suggestion? Maybe only changing a little thing it will works, but for now I’m blocked…

Thanks
Laura

0 Likes

In order to evaluate a metric you must CREATE (put it in the db) not MAKE (put it in local, e.g. browser, memory).
You would want something like:

SimpleMetric.create({
“id”: “MySimpleMetric”,
“name”: “MySimpleMetric”,
“srcType”: “Facility”,
“expression”: “sum(eval(‘DAY’,$MyMetric,varStart,varEnd))”,
“variables”: [{
“name”: “varStart”,
“value” : “evalStart()”
},{
“name”: “varEnd”,
“value” : “evalEnd()”
}]
})

var result = Facility.evalMetric({expression: 'MySimpleMetric', id: 'FACILITY_ID', ...etc.})
0 Likes

Hi, thanks but I’m “making” (not “creating”) the metric because I can evaluate it (using “evalMetricsWithMetadata”) directly in the browser at runtime, without store it: is not the same for “test purpose”?
Anyway, even using “create” I have the same problem, the system seems ignore the variables evalStart and evalEnd. For now I have “bypassed” this problem using javascript code, even if I would like to find a way to define this logic inside the metric.

Thanks,
Laura

0 Likes

try to use evalXYZ() directly on your expression, no need to bind them into variables:

"expression": "sum(eval(‘DAY’, MetricName, evalStart(), evalEnd()))”
0 Likes