},
    "order" : "1",
    "multiplier" : "1"
  } ],
  "meta" : { }
}

Now if I try to covert anyone to the other one I hit:

MetricEngine error : c3.love.exceptions.C3RuntimeException: 
  Error c3.love.units.exceptions.InconvertableException: Cannot convert unit mvarh to unit mvar

Then I check and see that both units are not convertible:

> Unit.isConvertable({id: 'mvarh'}, {id: 'mvar'})
false
> Unit.isConvertable({id: 'varh'}, {id: 'mvarh'})
false

Now I remove one UnitComponent from mvarh, specifically {"unit" : {"id" : "hour"},"order" : "1","multiplier" : "1"} and now the conversion works!

> Unit.isConvertable({id: 'mvarh'}, {id: 'mvar'})
true
> Unit.isConvertable({id: 'mvar'}, {id: 'mvarh'})
true

Is the unit conversion buggy?

Validity of `evalMetric[s]`

@bachr Can you do c3Grid(Cache.list()) and see if the UnitsCache says tenant /tag aware true or false?
There was a bug in the previous versions of the server which was fixed and we experienced this behavior if the cached state was messed up.

As a workaround, you can flush the UnitsCache and try again and it should work.

@rohit.sureka thanks, which one of the cache entries, I see c3.server.love.units and c3.server.love.units-fundamental. Both have enabled set to true!

Just a guess but looking at the error:

Error c3.love.units.exceptions.InconvertableException

I’d say c3.server.love.units

on 7.2, Units cache is not TenantTagAware. I believe this was fixed in 7.6.1.
So after upserting, need to empty caches. BTW, Unit.isConvertable({id: ‘mvarh’}, {id: ‘mvar’}) should be false…

why is that? did the way I’m defining the units incorrect?

did n’t you define . mvarh = mvar * hour… so mvarh unit for different concept than mvar.
isConvertible is true, for units that are measuring same concept as in length, time, energy etc.

1 Like

Converting mvar to mvarh doesn’t make sense, its like converting miles to miles-per-hour.

1 Like
closed #9
archived #10

This seems to be non-obvious. I agree that, by default, one dimension/concept[1] cannot be converted into another. But perhaps the conversion here is context-dependent/aware: you may want to convert mvar into mvarh by multiplying it by a constant in hour, just in some context where it makes sense to you, for whatever purpose. If this is not what is meant, then one should always know it is a bug when an error “cannot convert mvar to mvarh” occurs; one should not say, “please define a conversion” (as it happens).

The dilemma could be removed by using the field concept and augmenting the above error by “because they relate to different concepts.”

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_analysis

How do you upsert and/or empty/flush cache? We get "litre not convertible to cubic_meter" from time to time…
Thanks

which version of server, is this. should not happen in 7.7+. If this is 7.7+ please file a ticket. earlier version, if another tag in same tenant, modifes units data, it could cause this error. provision to recreate the units. that should refresh the cache.

Unit Conversion

The server is v7.6.1. Thanks, we will try provisioning.